Geography optional subject
Selecting the optional subject for the UPSC civil service mains exam is a personal decision. Every individual has unique strengths and weaknesses; they also have different educational and professional backgrounds. Choosing an optional subject is based on your interest, confidence and understanding of a Subject. Most of the toppers prefer Geography optional subject.
Why Most of the toppers choose Geography optional Subject?
- Geography is a scientific subject. Many aspirants from science, medical and engineering backgrounds prefer it.
- No need to mug up the subject. Only concepts need to be understood.
- No dearth of material available for Geography.
- It has tremendous overlap with General Studies both in prelims and the mains.
- Geography also has a lot of overlap with subjects like economics, environment, ecology and conservation.
- Candidates can also use what they learn in Geography in their essay paper on various topics.
- Even in the UPSC personality test, Geography will be useful as the board can ask questions on the local geography of a candidate’s home town like soil, vegetation, minerals, etc
- Geography is a scoring subject. Diagrams, flowchart, etc. can be used to get more marks.
- The map-based questions are also scoring